LA Sparks sign Ashley Shields
- Lawson scores 23 as Sun top Liberty
- Hayes, Lyttle help Dream beat Diggins, Shock
- Lawson leads Sun to win over Liberty in opener
- Seattle's Sue Bird optimistic after knee surgery
- Storm-Sparks Preview
- Fever top Silver Stars to open WNBA title defense
- WNBA Preview Capsules
- Tulsa makes final cut, waiving Courtney Paris
- Steady and sure, Silver Stars slide into new year
- Sky is the limit for Chicago, Delle Donne
LOS ANGELES (AP) The Los Angeles Sparks signed guard Ashley Shields to a training camp contract.
She is currently playing in Israel, averaging 18.8 points and 3.3 steals for Maccabi Ashdod. Shields has spent most of the last five seasons in Israel, with other playing stints in Poland and Slovakia.
The 5-foot-10 Shields was drafted by the Houston Comets in 2007, and later played on Detroit's 2008 WNBA championship team.
Sparks general manager Penny Toler said Friday that what she really likes about Shields is her disruptive defensive play and rebounding skills.
The Sparks open the season May 18 at Seattle.
Updated March 9, 2012