|NCAA Women's Basketball|
Texas to pay Aston $600k per year
- Minnesota G Banham has successful surgery on knees
- Ex-WNBA chief suggests changes to NCAA basketball
- DA: Holdsclaw pleads guilty in assault case
- Summitt wins Keith Jackson Eternal Flame Award
- Duke's McCallie hires Van Gorp, promotes Planells
- American conference women's tourney at casino
- American Athletic Conference women's tourney at casino
- Rizzotti enters Women's Basketball Hall of Fame
- Foster, Blair take similar paths to Hall of Fame
- Moore scores 22 as Lynx beat Mercury 99-79
By JIM VERTUNO
AUSTIN, Texas (AP) Texas will pay new women's basketball coach Karen Aston at least $600,000 per year under contract terms released Thursday, about half of what former coach Gail Goestenkors made.
Aston will have an annual salary of $337,500 with an additional $80,000 for running Texas' summer basketball camps, and another $182,500 from marketing, promotions work, and media contracts and appearances.
She also gets a one-time $115,000 payment for her move from Denton, where she was the coach at North Texas last season. Aston also could qualify for another $275,000 in incentives tied to team performance on the court and in the classroom.
Goestenkors quit with two years remaining on a contract that paid her about $1.25 million per year.
Updated April 5, 2012